General Summary/Position Overview
Position requires ongoing training and self-motivation to develop new skills and to maintain current skills used to design/detail applications in the tank car loading rack industry. Must maintain a self-starter attitude and use excellent problem solving skills to derive solutions to daily tasks and adhere to office practices/ procedures.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Responsible for the Engineering component of SafeRack deployed solutions. Working with internal Sales and Drafting resources, prescribe the mechanical and structural solution for customers.
- Perform load calculations as needed for platform structures and related piping racks, etc
- Handle multiple assignments, from complex to simple solutions.
- Leverage existing SafeRack deployed designs, for application in each unique customer need.
- Review, approve, and implement mechanical engineering standards, policies, and procedures.
- Provide technical engineering input (as required) for estimating and bid proposal requirements.
- Provide interpretations of all external codes, regulations, specifications, and the like.
- Provide value engineering direction for company engineering activities.
- Perform additional assignments per direction, such as product improvement, NPD, LEAN, etc…
- Manage and direct outside consultants to develop engineering documents, as required. Obtain PE stamps for respective states, when assigned/required.
- Participate in the management of larger mechanical / structural engineering projects, when assigned.
- Ensure effective management of change. Reviews work with client, management and project leads.
- Audit existing mechanical systems/solutions and recommend solutions to improve
- Adherence to internal and external deadline and project dates. Communicates variances to schedules.
- Flexibility to work outside normal work hours/weekends as required
- Some travel with occasional overnight stays for project based activities
Specifications for this Position
- Four year Mechanical or Civil Engineering degree from an accredited university; EIT or PE a plus
- 3-5 years’ experience in mechanical construction
- Project Management experience; PMP a plus
- Experience in Solid Works modeling, or other parametric Engineering software
- Experience in RISA or similar structural Engineering software
Ability to stand and walk continuously (55% or more)
Description of Working Conditions/Surroundings
Manufacturing / construction environment
It is expected that regular working hours for this position will be 40 hour week (however, 40 hours will not be guaranteed.) In addition to these regular working hours, the employee may be required to work overtime when asked as well as be required to report back to the plant or worksite for unanticipated schedule changes, special meetings, training sessions or other activities as dictated by management.