General Summary/Position Overview
The job of Manufacturing Engineer is to plan, direct, and coordinate manufacturing processes at the industrial plant site. He/she is responsible for developing, evaluating, and improving manufacturing methods, by utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
This role would be responsible for assisting/supporting, but is not limited to:
- Evaluates manufacturing processes by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from operators.
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Assures product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished- product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Keeps equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services; following manufacturer’s instructions and established procedures; requesting special service.
- Performs research, design and development of manufacturing processes including production flow, assembly methods and production equipment.
- Completes design and development projects by training and guiding technicians; Designs, develops and tests and/or sources and cost-justifies various tools, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Designs new Lean Six Sigma concepts or evaluates/implements existing concepts and best-in-class manufacturing techniques
- Incorporates engineering specifications into design, process, or techniques and provides feedback to capture lessons learned.
- Creates, implements, and monitors key performance indicators and metrics.
- Improves manufacturing process cost.
- Ensure solutions achieve required quality levels, reliability, and consistency.
- Performs product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement, and improved efficiency.
- Coordinates the manufacturing launch of new/revised products including establishing goals, training team members and evaluating results.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by immediate Supervisor
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong Analytical and decision making skills
- Strong ability to work under pressure & manage stress
- Strong ability to execute and follow-through
- Strong organizational skills
- Exceptional attention to detail skill
- Strong negotiation and conflict management skills
- Exceptional Team player
- Must have the ability to: Read, analyze, and interpret common industrial, manufacturing and technical procedures,
- Professional journals, schematics, diagrams, drawings, and blueprints.
– Write reports, business correspondence, assembly instructions and procedural manuals.
– Speak effectively before groups of customers or company employees.
– Apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, and quadratic equations
– Apply mathematical operations to theoretical and practical manufacturing and industrial situations
- Knowledge of Lean- Six-Sigma Concepts
- Knowledge of Process Measurement – Basic Measurement expertise to identify and create qualitative or quantitative measures of success and failure
Minimum Education Requirements:
Bachelor’s Science Mech. Engineering degree, or equivalent level of experience required. Professional Engineering/Six-Sigma certification is a plus.
Minimum Experience Required:
7 to 10 years of previous Manufacturing Engineering experience in manufacturing environment (Steel/Automotive industry preferred. Experience with Lean Implementation, Value Stream Mapping and various other process improvement techniques is essential.
Extensive hours sitting and using equipment and computers. Light lifting, standing and walking and lifting of supplies and materials from time to time is necessary.